On September 20, Charlotte, North Carolina resident Keith Lamont Scott was shot four times by police officer Brentley Vinson.
Scott, a father of seven, later died of his injuries.
He was 43 years old.
Now, new footage showing the minutes directly before and after the shooting has been obtained and released by NBC News.
Viewers should be warned that the footage is disturbing:
The voice on the video is that of Scott’s wife, Rakeyia.
She can be heard repeatedly pleading with officers to not shoot.
When police instruct Lamont to drop his weapon, Rakeyia informs that her husband is unarmed:
“He doesn’t have a weapon, he has a TBI [traumatic brain injury], he’s not going to do anything to you guys, he just took his medicine.”
A police spokesperson says Scott was holding an object that appeared to be a gun, which can be seen near his feet in photos taken after the shooting.
In the days since the shooting, Charlotte has erupted in protests and riots, which have sadly resulted in more gun violence.
Governor Pat McCrory has declared a state of emergency, and ordered the deployment of the Charlotte National Guard.
This morning, a man named Rayquan Borum was charged with shooting a protester.
Earlier this week, Scott’s family issued a statement to protesters, reading:
“As a family, we respect the rights of those who wish to protest, but we ask that people protest peacefully.”
“Please do not hurt people or members of law enforcement, damage property or take things that do not belong to you in the name of protesting.”
Today’s developments come on the heels of news that Tulsa, Oklahoma police officer Betty Shelby has been charged with first degree manslaughter.
Shelby was the officer under scrutiny for shooting Terrenece Crutcher, another unarmed black man, last week.
The problem of police violence against people of color in America has drawn global attention in recent months.
Spurred by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for the national anthem before a preseason NFL game, players across the league have begun using their platform to protest the violence and demand action.
Earlier today, Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts announced that there were no plans to release the video of Scott’s shooting, as she believed doing so would affect the integrity of an ongoing police investigation.
“When you are still gathering eyewitness accounts, they are still talking to folks,” Roberts said in a press conference.
“If you have already seen something on the Internet, it can cloud your memory, it can alter what you think you saw.”
“We want eyewitnesses to tell us without being led or having their memory changed by something they heard or saw.”
We’ll have further updates on this story as more information becomes available.